House B Language Arts
Question: What do I need to do in order to get ready for my presentation and paper that is due by May 6?
Answer: This week (April 25-April 29), you need to accomplish the following tasks in order to be successful.
1. You need to decide what speech you are going to write about and present to the class. You may choose one we have already covered, or you may choose one that interests you, OR you may write one of your own. Your oral presentation must be between 2 and 5 minutes long, so take that into account. For resources, check out www.americanrhetoric.com or http://www.historychannel.com/speeches/archive1.html. http://www.houseofgann.com/houseofgann/fun%20info.htm also has excellent resources for you.
2. You may also choose to recite a poem or a speech from a film. The same requirements for the written portion of the assessment apply to poetry and film as to formal speeches. If you donít have the assignment sheet for the written assessment, you need one. Get it here.
3. You need to do some research in order to meet the requirements of Paragraph 2 of the written essay. Again, donít make stuff up. You know that I will know if you do.
4. Practice the speech you want to present to the class. Time it so that itís not too long and not too short. You are not required to memorize your speech, but you should be able to present it with confidence, without relying too much on your notes, and while making eye contact with others. In my experience, giving a speech to a family pet is helpful. They never criticize you, and are generally very good listeners.
5. Next week we will be giving presentations and working on our writing in class. Do not waste your time or mine. Get yourself organized this week so next week will be productive.